Wednesday 24 August 2016

7 lessons that they have learned Photo shooting mode for the first time

IMGP0129

I recently had the great pleasure of fashion photography for the first time Sweden Brooks (model), fellow photographer Bil Brown (who organized everything) shooting, both stylists and make-up professionals, and Cindy (Creative Director and Assistant Lighting).

I was interested in fashion for some time in the recording Now- especially when I saw the work of Richard Avedon and William Klein (who had an interest in street photography both, but I have worked wonderfully). can Other artists like Guy Bourdain, Helmut Newton, Man Ray and many others show me the beauty of the human body be, and creative way can be both.

1. REC mode is a group work

IMGP0114

For starters, I give a big thank you to my friend Bil Brown, both a street and a fashion photographer and runs its own magazine (magazine black and gray). He helped coordinate everything, and we have the shooting of downtown Los Angeles near his studio. We accept both on the streets (where I more in the "zone" felt) and in his study (with a backdrop and professional lighting).

One of the first things I learned was how fashion photography is a group work. It is not enough fashion photographer Rockstar, and everyone obeys his / her moods. Rather, they are stylists and makeup team, which God (the control the creative vision), and the photographer is often the person who is second.

SUEDEBROOKS_EK_082016_S1000912

I am also happy to work with such a wonderful model (Sweden Brooks, just 15, but acts as if it were twice as old). I found the work with an experienced model as a photographer does his job 100 times easier. Because she was so experienced and always know how to position your body, my job as a photographer was easy it to the composition, interesting perspectives was to focus, and capture the "decisive moment".

2. The cross-pollination with "roads portraits and fashion"

IMGP0034

I'd say my experience stranger "portraits" of the road on the road definitely shooting helped me pull fashion. Overall, I am interested and attracted to people who have "street style" in public, and usually I'm attracted to people with interesting colors, textures and a sense of personal style.

BTS Photo by Bil Brown
BTS Photo by Bil Brown

When he came to work with Sweden, I already felt quite safe. I shot most of the film with Pentax 645Z Bil (medium size digital camera with flash bigass above), and a few in my Ricoh GR II. I shot for comprehensive manual on Pentax most shots in ISO 400, f / 16, autofocus and Blitz approach 1 / 4th power (with a target of Pentax 55mm, which almost fully corresponds to 35 mm box). These settings worked very well for large on headshots. If the model a little further, I change to increase only the aperture of f / 8 Exposure.

One of the things I've tried to focus on the research, was a mere background, but interesting. The first time in the streets shooting, I was looking for an interesting backdrop - tend to be the simple black aluminum sliding doors, lights or even a movie theater. I also tried the scene different perspectives to work: put the most pictures with me on the floor (on the floor).

3. As we worked with a model

IMGP0395

What direction it should not do much more (depending on the model, Sweden had already experienced). However, I would ask the subtle changes that detail seems to me to change the position of the body (from behind me, and then to the camera, turn your body), and do for her things like "pretend to cry, "or" play with her hair. "

Meeting sessions fashion, is much of the creative direction. Cindy were many good ideas on how Sweden climbing up a ladder, or have it lying on a fur blanket (shoot me from a high point on the scale of observation).

SUEDEBROOKS_EK_082016_S1000932

The process was also very exhausting- films contain 4 Changes in different clothes. Therefore, as mentioned Bil, "no load sound quickly." You do not want to exhaust all your creative ideas too fast at the beginning of filming (I did anyway).

4. The importance of the technical parameters of control

IMGP0261

What the technical parameters, I believe that many of my images were underexposed (especially when shooting in the studio). Shooting was mounted in the streets with a flash on the camera easy. Photo studio with two lights (Beauty Dish, stuffed) was difficult. If you are more of a studio photographer, you really need to control your lights before a model in space to achieve.

I have too long and seen "Chimpen", the LCD monitor that to ensure the exposure, looked good, and the direction of the light was good. every time I looked at the LCD screen, however, and a pause, killed the "flow" of my interaction with the model.

Lesson: Do not see the LCD monitor during recording. Imagine your lighting before it gets any model and make - to ensure that all technical parameters are. Then your time-management style, spend and capture good shots.

5. Shot what you feel comfortable

IMGP0085

I also found that, when the recording mode, I'm much more comfortable shooting in the streets. This makes of meaning I am "street photographer."

BTS Photo by Bil Brown
BTS Photo by Bil Brown

So another lesson is to know what are your strengths and weaknesses. If I make the fashion photography, films would definitely emphasize on the streets (and not in the studio, I'm not qualified).

Life is short, and I think it is better to be focused on building their strengths, instead of trying to capitalize on their weaknesses. I think if I had to do fashion photography, I have become "street photographer of fashion" - rather than a luxury studio photographer.

6 medium format for fashion is epic

IMGP0422

I shot most of the film in the Pentax 645z- and I'm really impressed with the quality of the images later. Everything I saw was done by applying a "Portra 800 HC" VSCO Preset in Lightroom and skin tones for post amazing. The photographs really seem more "3D" and have incredible detail in the skin.

BTS Photo by Bil Brown
BTS Photo by Bil Brown

The 645z is also light enough (more like a Canon 5D Mark III). It's bigger and longer, but it feels solid in the hand, and the controls are pretty simple. My only complaint is that the autofocus is not super fast 645z; but acceptable.

Screen Shot 08/22/2016 at 1:39:05 pm

The camera housing is expensive and one is ~ $ 7000. But for the average format digital camera is a fantastic deal. I would not recommend this unit unless it. A form of complete, commercially, or perhaps Photographer time wedding, where you have to blow very large images or have skin tones beautifully

Other random thoughts when you were a professional photographer with a passion for street photography, I would probably be a combination of a compact camera Ricoh GR II recommend on the streets, and 645z Pentax for commercial work. It makes you a "bar" strategy have a compact camera ass and big ass camera to have (a camera instead of "average size"). I do not plan a 645z on the purchase, but if I had $ 7,000 are alrededor- I think the Pentax is a valuable better than a Leica digital camera.

7. Now I know why I love street photography

IMGP0160

The shooting experience fashion was a blast. I had a lot of fun with the rest of the team, and enjoyed my ability to be creative and work with the model.

However, he also reiterated why I love so much street photography. Street photography is so low, require maintenance and not planning. Bil long and coordinating efforts of all of us (photographers, models, makeup, stylist, etc.) - while with street photography to make just from photos.

I imagine the difficulty of many fashion photographer is how the logistics. I would say 90% of the growth of the fashion it, the logistics and planning, and only 10% of the actual shooting was.

BTS Photo by Bil Brown
BTS Photo by Bil Brown

But if you are a street photographer, I recommend you try, the fashion shoot. It is having to work another adventure with a model, working on your flash illumination and skills, and on the fly, to be creative.

I want to work more in fashion in the future to my skills, "street" Portrait (and vice versa) to improve. I also learned to shoot a photo-style, which is completely foreign and new to me (fashion photography) - Growing as a photographer on, learned new skills and had too good a lot of fun.

graduation

IMGP0333

So friend, as takeaway-, if you're curious for a style of photography outside your comfort zone, try. I guarantee that this will help you, new skills, learn techniques, you can fertilize with any other type of photography shooting.

I know that many wedding photographers useful to find street photography, because it is necessary to capture "the decisive moment".

I started shooting architecture and landscape photography before "street photography" to discover - and architectural photography / landscape, I learned the composition, design and geometry.

The last thing is to always be a beginner. Always willing to learn new things, be humble, and I know that the only thing in life is growth, self-discovery, and share their joy with others.

always
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment